19:00 (7 pm) Torchlight Procession leaves The Meadows
Location: New start location The Meadows
- The opening event of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay 2023 is the return of the spectacular Torchlight Procession. Join 20,000 participants to create a river of fire through Edinburgh’s historic Old Town to the majestic backdrop of Edinburgh Castle, amongst a carnival of pipers, drummers, fire, and fanfare!
- You must have a Torch or Procession Wristband to participate in this year’s Torchlight Procession.
- Anyone under 16yrs MUST be accompanied at all times by an adult over 18yrs of age.
Ticket type: e-ticket
- Please note you will need to purchase at least one torch per booking.
- If there is more than one person in your group, you must purchase additional torches or wristbands for them to participate in the Procession.
- We would recommend one torch between two persons in a group.
Instructions for Torch Collection:
E-tickets will be scanned on the day from Torch Collections Points in
The Meadows and exchanged for Torches & Wristbands. Torch & Wristband
Collection is available from 14:00 (2 pm).
Information Needed for E-tickets
- Instructions on where attendees can collect their torches. Include the exact location and opening hours of the torch collection point(s) – LOCATION INFO AVAILABLE LATER.
- Torch Collection Points open from 2 pm at The Meadows
- A donation of £2.00 will be made to our official charity partner Social Bite from each torch to help eradicate homelessness in Scotland.
- A donation of £1.50 will be made to our official charity partner Social Bite from each Procession Wristband to help eradicate homelessness in Scotland.
- E-tickets will be scanned on the day from at Torch Collections Points in The Meadows and exchanged for Torches & Wristbands. Torch & Wristband Collection from 14:00 (2 pm).
- Torches & Procession Wristbands will only be distributed to ticket holders.
Any Event Guidelines:
- Torchlight Procession is an outdoor event using wax-based torches. Please dress appropriately.
- Torchlight Procession is an incredibly safe event, but we need participants to help maintain this and follow all safety instructions from Event Stewards when carrying torches.
- Please wear warm outdoor clothing and suitable footwear for walking
- Torchlight Procession is a very busy outdoor event, and please ensure you have a charged mobile phone for communicating with friends and family… and for taking lots of photos
- No children’s buggies are permitted in the Procession
- Torch collection points will be open from 14:00 (2 pm) on the day, and we would recommend collecting your Torches & Procession Wristbands early to avoid queuing closer to the event.
- Only Torchlight Procession ticket holders will be permitted on the Procession.
- Participants cannot use any other open flames at the event
- Organisers reserve the right to remove anyone deemed to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances and will not be permitted to participate in the event
Please note the following list of prohibited items which will not be
permitted at the event for safety:#
- No Alcohol
- No Glass of any kind
- No Flares or Smoke Canisters
- No Chinese Lanterns
- No portable laser equipment or pens
- No pyrotechnics/fireworks (we have more than enough for everyone to enjoy)
- No Drones
- No Children’s Buggies
- No Umbrellas
- No Dogs or Animals (except registered guide dogs)
- No unauthorised professional film or camera equipment. Cameras for personal use are welcome.
Route and Directions:
For Edinburgh’s Hogmanay 2023, the Torchlight Procession will have a
new start location and route, which will lead participants from the
picturesque surroundings of The Meadows through the historic Old Town
and beneath Edinburgh Castle.
- Torchlight Procession is an incredibly safe event, but we need participants to help maintain this and follow all safety instructions when carrying torches.
- Event Stewards & Staff are here to help you. Please don’t be worried about asking for help in any situation, whether to assist with event information, lighting or extinguishing torches or reporting something or someone you are concerned about.
- Torches will be lit before departure by trained Event Stewards. Participants must not light torches until instructed to by an Event Steward.
- Torches are wax based (like a big candle), and safety guards are supplied to protect hands from dripping wax.
- Please note – when windy, wax from the torches can be blown onto clothing. Whilst easily removable (Top Tip – an iron and brown paper will remove wax), please dress appropriately and not carry torches wearing delicate fabrics.
- Please stay on designated paths and roads for the Procession and be aware of other participants with torch flames.
- All torches will be extinguished and disposed of at the end location of the Torchlight Procession. Extinguishing points will also be located throughout the route for anyone who wishes to dispose of their torch.
- Report any suspicious activities or safety concerns to event staf
- December 29, 2023
- 240 minutes
- Torchlight Procession
- Torchlight Procession
- Age 0 and above